[Gllug] Hacker Attack

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Thu Jan 12 17:47:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Nix wrote:

>> don't appreciate why we package stuff though - they just think its a
>> pain because they can't install the software on every junk screensaver
>> CD they get in the post.
>
>`This is a feature, not a bug'.
>
>(We do things that way at work, as well, with centrally pushed changes.
>It took *forever* to get permission to install things off my own bat on
>my machine, because the centrally installed set didn't include things
>like Cygwin or any of the dev environments I'm actually supposed to be
>doing my job with, *sigh*)

Someone at our place thought it'd be a great idea to centralise Cygwin
under ClearCase, which is fine in theory (you can always reproduce a build
that uses the cygwin tools) until you realise that a non-installed cygwin
requires admin privilages to mount its filesystems. Hence, you require
admin privileges on a build machine to build our software. I'm currently
battling to remove this and have cygwin properly installed on developer
machines. But noone's budging. I can't currently build our software
because I refuse to have admin privilages on my own machine (I have the
local admin password, however, if I want to install anything.) Due to
cygwin.dll clashes, I can't use a locally installed cygwin:(

Christian

--
    /"\
    / \