[Gllug] A SATA Raid card worth having?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 26 23:16:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:40:26PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> John Hearns writes:
>
> >Given the choice, hardware RAID any time for me.
>
> I see pros and cons for both. Decent hardware RAID will give great
> performance, but what happens when the controller dies, and the
> replacement comes with a different firmware revision that changes
> the on-disk format? Suddenly you have a bunch of unreadable garbage
> on your disks. I wish I could say this was a rare occurrence, but
> sadly it doesn't seem to be.

Two answers to this:

	RAID can offer greater resiliency but it is not a backup.  You
	protect against that scenario with backups.

	If you want to guard against that danger even so, buy your
	hardware with a decent support contract.

Either way, back up.

--
Bruce

Explota!: miles de lemmings no pueden estar equivocados.