[Gllug] text based rss reader

Holger Duerer hduerer at gmx.net
Wed Jan 18 14:24:54 UTC 2006

  [...]
    Daniel> <rant>
  [...]

    Daniel> Its (almost) like being back using a nice NNTP news reader
    Daniel> again....but not quite - RSS only lets you find the 20
    Daniel> most recent articles for most sites, where as NNTP would
    Daniel> keep messages around much longer, and I can't easily
    Daniel> participate in threads from within my RSS reader, and so
    Daniel> on...

Well, the sites can put in as many items as they like they just choose
to pick a low number.  With NNTP you could have the same problem when
using a server with extremely short expiry time.

Of course there you could always set up your own server with longer
times -- equivalent to having a local RSS aggregator that keeps
reading feed at short intervals and re-publishes them as own feeds...
Re-invetion of the wheel indeed...

    Daniel> Progress eh ?
    Daniel> </rant>

BTW:  AFAIK gnus supports rss as well, i.e. you could have your NNTP
sources together with your RSS sources (and of course email as well)
in one common (text-based) interface.

   Holger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk