[Gllug] A SATA Raid card worth having?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Jan 28 09:40:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 01:35 +0000, Andy Farnsworth wrote:

> They won't fall over, not with all the gyroscopic effect from the
> spinning platters :)
Depends which way you mount the disks (*)

> On an interesting note, the old very large hard
> drive units used to walk across the "room" of Navy ships whenever the
> ship would change course.
Showing my age, I remember when 4 gigabytes of disk was delivered in a
large lorry, and needed a delivery crew to out them in place.

(*) FLywheel powered buses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus
which I still think would be a marvellous idea in London.
Not sure how long it takes to spin the gyro up, but all it would need
would be an electricity hookup at either end of the route.
And of course have to pay attention to the orientation of the gyro,
or you have to limit the bus to runs from one end of Oxford Street to
the other.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk