[Gllug] MPlayer problem...

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 19:24:57 UTC 2006

Emon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just joined the group.
> I am a newbie running Slackware10.2.
> Recently I installed the pkg "Mplayer-1.0pre7" but when I try to
> play a video from my HDD It gives me the following error
>
> *********
> Fatal error!
> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
> *********
>
> but "gxine" can play the video.
>
> mp3s are not giving me any trouble though, they run fine on both
> of them.
>
> So... can anyone please tell me what is it that I am doing
> wrong.

 From the command line, you can select a different video device.

$ mplayer -vo xv filename.avi

should work. If not, you can get a list of supported video devices by typing

$ mplayer -vo help

which on my machine looks like this...

steve at figaro:~ $ mplayer -vo help
MPlayer dev-CVS--Ubuntu-4.0.3 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium M Dothan (Family: 6, Stepping: 8)

Available video output drivers:
         xmga    Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay in X11 window (using
/dev/mga_vid)
         mga     Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay (/dev/mga_vid)
         tdfxfb  3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5
         3dfx    3dfx (/dev/3dfx)
         xvmc    XVideo Motion Compensation
         xv      X11/Xv
         x11     X11 ( XImage/Shm )
         xover   General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
         gl      X11 (OpenGL)
         gl2     X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
         dga     DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
         sdl     SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
         ggi     General Graphics Interface (GGI) output
         fbdev   Framebuffer Device
         fbdev2  Framebuffer Device
         dxr3    DXR3/H+ video out
         xvidix  X11 (VIDIX)
         cvidix  console VIDIX
         null    Null video output
         mpegpes Mpeg-PES to DVB card
         yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
         png     PNG file
         jpeg    JPEG file
         gif89a  animated GIF output
         tga     Targa output
         pnm     PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
         md5sum  md5sum of each frame

89 audio & 203 video codecs
steve at figaro:~ $

So if "-vo xv" doesn't work, try "-vo x11" which should work but without
any hardware rendering support (I think).

If you are running mplayer from a gui as gmplayer, you should be able to
set the video output device by right-clicking on the gmplayer window and
going in to the settings menu.

Stephen
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk