[Gllug] ftp syncing

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jan 17 17:20:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:44:01PM +0000, Craig Millar wrote:
> Does anyone know of a decent ftp syncing package or script?

I've not used it in a long time, preferring rsync, but I think
'mirror' will do the trick:

$ apt-cache show mirror
Package: mirror
Section: universe/net
Installed-Size: 780
Maintainer: Ian Maclaine-cross <iml at debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.9-52
Depends: perl, netbase, patch
Recommends: mailx, fping
Suggests: at, cron
Filename: pool/universe/m/mirror/mirror_2.9-52_all.deb
Size: 192658
MD5sum: 1ad454f587dc92e89308da68af0303fc
 Mirror uses the FTP protocol to locally duplicate remote host files and
 directories selected with Perl regular expressions.  By default transfers
 only files missing locally or whose remote sizes or time-stamps have changed.
 Can reduce directory download using compressed listings in ls-lR.gz files
 or further using compressed differences of daily listings in ls-lR.patch.gz
 files.  Can read mirrored Packages.gz files and mirror just their specified
 fraction of Debian from pool/.  Amongst many flexible options it can gzip
 and split files.  Tracks large distant FTP archives accurately with low
 download volume.
 .
 Simpler programs like "mirrordir", "rsync" or "wget" use less memory and may
 copy directory trees faster between local machines.
 .