[Gllug] trashman - a trash management utility for Linux filesystem

Dan Stevens (IAmAI) dan.stevens.iamai at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:06:24 UTC 2006

Unlike Windows, in Linux (or Ubuntu at least) there is no apparent
trash collection/management, 'recycle bin' type utility and a brief
search does not reveal much. Perhaps the majority of Linux users feel
they don't have much need for it and make do happily with using 'rm'
or 'mv'. Either way, I am thinking of developing a utility to do such,
mainly for the purpose of programming practice, although one advantage
I can think of is that it will simplify the removal of whole
directories and their contents - it would save the user have to
specify the great long '--ignore-fail-on-non-empty' flag and the risk
of accidental deletion. I'm thinking of naming the utility 'trashman',
for 'Trash Management', but also after our humble refuse collector. If
anyone knows of an existing software like this, I would be interested
in checking it out.

Finally, I'm wondering if you could help me with something: I'm
looking for a command or a utility that will output information about
a file. For trashman, I will need to find out information such as the
full path or the file size.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk