[Gllug] Linux MAPI client

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 12:27:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 03:15 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Simon Morris writes:
>
> >I don't want to go ahead and say there aren't any for Linux but I've
> >never seen or heard of a  proper MAPI implementation before. MAPI is
> >fairly entrenched in Windows as far as I know
>
> IIRC, MAPI is, as the name would suggest, merely an API. An implementation
> of MAPI under Linux would do you no good whatsoever. What you need is
> something that implements the Exchange wire protocol. There are currently
> no free solutions that do this. Luke Leighton is currently the only one
> that I'm aware of that's working on reverse engineering that protocol,
> and he has made some progress. It's still some way from being able to
> code up a suitable free implementation, though.

The latest Wine traffic (301) has this in it:-

"It seems right now we're in that interesting period where CodeWeavers
is doing infrastructure changes and laying the groundwork for even more.
In particular, we're seeing RPC additions to support Outlook 2003, which
requires wire compatible DCOM to talk to Exchange."

So it looks as though Wine/Crossover support for Outlook 2003 is not
that far off. That might speed the reverse engineering of the wire
protocol for Exchange. There seem to be a lot of organisations out there
with Exchange and no IMAP access, so it would be a very good thing for
free software on the desktop if clients like Thunderbird could get mail
from an Exchange server natively, IMO.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk