[Gllug] [OT] VMWare Player

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jan 25 10:38:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:47:49PM +0000, Simon Morris wrote:
> Just in case people haven't seen this.
>
> The VMWare player is now a free (as in cost) download and runs very
> well on Linux.

With all the press Xen & VMWare get, people can be forgiven for thinking
they're the only show in town. There is another contender...

QEMU is still free (as in beer & cost) for both Windows & Linux and
also runs on PPC, PPC64, i?86, x86_64, ARM and if you're doing x86
on x86 then the KQEMU / QVM86 kernel accelerators mean the performance
hit from the emulator is reduced significantly.

As a side project I'm currently working on a DBus API for QEMU to allow
automation of creating VMs, defining devices, running VMs, etc, etc, and
on top of that building a complete admin control interface.

> With the player you cannot create new virtual machines but there are
> some available to download that run in the player and if you know
> someone with the VMWare workstation version you can create them and
> take them away with you..

QEMU can also run VMWare disk images directly, or it has a tool to
convert them into QEMU native format which supports compression and
encryption too.

> So you can now test new software (like the CRM software Simon Wilcox
> recommended) without trashing your existing install. I loves it

I've a few notes on installing Fedora within QEMU using regular
anaconda installer.

  http://berrange.com/coding/tips/2005/11/setting-up-virtualized-fedora-core-4

Regards,
Dan.