[Gllug] Re: cdrom/cd-writer problem

Uwe Jochum uwe.jochum at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jan 31 09:53:10 UTC 2006

Message from Jan 31 2006 (10:14):
> Hi all I am running Slackware10.2 with KDE desktop
>
> Recently I installed Slackware10.2(with KDE desktop) on my
> friend's PC. He has got a cdrom & a cd-wirter. During
> installation Slackware detected the cdrom and entered the
> necessary line for it in /etc/fstab. But I for the cdwriter I
> had to had to type the line for it  myself & it seems to work
> fine.

Did you symlink the cdwriter to the correct device in /etc/dev? It is
not enough to enter a line for the cdwriter in fstab, you also have to
create a device cdwriter in /etc/dev (if it is not already there) and
point with a symlink to one of the existing devices. So, for instance,
if cdrom is symlinked to /dev/sda0 or so, you should symlink your
cdwriter to /dev/sda1. Then both devices should be handled properly.

I think your two problems are a result of the non existent cdwriter
device.

Best,

Uwe

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk