[Gllug] Myth TV setup

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Jan 12 23:07:21 UTC 2006

I am considering setting up a mythtv box.

My plan includes using the dodgy motherboard in my current system which
I am replacing tomorrow.

I can no longer use the usb port on this motherboard. There has been
nothing I have read to suggest that I must have USB. It will not be a
critical system so I will rebuild it when it does finally die.

Aside from the obvious, "the board is dying end its' misery already"
anything that I might be specifically missing out on from the mythtv
experience from using it? I am thinking uber-gadget that is only
available on usb?

I will be looking for PCI cards for doing the capture and saving for a
digital projector for the output. I would be using an Athlon XP chip and
aiming for 512MB sdram. for storage I am looking at maybe a 40gb drive +
dvd RW.

I plan to experiment with Knoppmyth to see that the hardware setup is
working and maybe keep it if it turns out to be suitable.

Any other pitfalls or suggestions?

Justin Perreault
--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk