[Gllug] Auto mount Memory Stick Duo

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Jan 22 20:19:16 UTC 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Richard Turner stipulated:
> I've just bought a new mobile that uses a MemoryStick Duo, and want to
> use that to transfer files between my PC and phone; however, the MS Duo
> isn't automagically mounted. I can mount it manually though.
>
> I vaguely remember having to hand-crank mounting these media when I
> first bought the MicroVault, several Fedora releases back (I'm using FC4
> now), and eventually managing to get the system to automount them for
> me, but I've completely forgotten how I did that now (the
> mixed-blessings of a sophisticated GUI!). The system appears to be
> creating and deleting mount points on-the-fly too so it must have
> changed a bit since I last looked.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers? I know it's only a nice-to-have, but
> it'd be nice to have :) I presume it's just a case of telling the system
> how to recognise that MS Duo as just another MemoryStick...?

If your system uses udev, it can mount it automatically with the RUN
action; something like `RUN="mount %p" should do the trick. (Obviously,
while automatic unmounting on removal is possible, it should only be
done if the media is mounted ro.)

> In case it's of any use, and it doesn't look to me like it is, here's
> the section of /var/log/messages logging me inserting the MicroVault,
> inserting the MS, unmounting the MS and inserting the MS Duo (despite
> the error messages about the MS I've never had a problem using it):

If you'll post the output of `udevinfo -a -p /sys/block/{whatever-the-block-device-is}',
we can craft a udev rule on the list. :)

--
`Everyone has skeletons in the closet.  The US has the skeletons
 driving living folks into the closet.' --- Rebecca Ore
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk