[Gllug] Re: CD-Writer not detected

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 17 23:57:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Russell Howe suggested tentatively:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:54:07AM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> (If you have a DVD-RW drive, you don't even need cdrwtools or pktcdvd;
>> just stick a normal filesystem on the DVD and it will just work :) )
>
> Do you mean DVD-RAM?
>
> I was under the impression that DVD-RW (and +RW) were like CD-RW's, and
> needed packet writing stuff in order to be used for a filesystem.
>
> DVD-RAM is supposed to work "like a hard disk" (so, presumably, as a
> plain ol' random access, read-write block device)

Hm. Yom may be right: I'm a bit unclear on the differences between all
these DVD standards (not only don't a have a DVD drive, I've never
even seen one...)

--
`Logic and human nature don't seem to mix very well,
 unfortunately.' --- Velvet Wood
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk