[Gllug] LDAP and Kerberos

Dani Pardo dani at enplater.com
Tue Jan 31 12:09:24 UTC 2006

	Hi, Kerberos has always been a little mistery for me and I'm sure
people in the list will clarify me a few issues.
  	Basically, I've used LDAP to store users/groups etc.. I can integrate
LDAP with Unix/Linux with pam-ldap.
	I can also integrate with samba with samba's ldap backend. When adding
the samba layer to support windows users, the accounts get some LDAP
attributes added (i.e sambaSID).
	I can also use ssl to transport the LDAP queries and responses, right?
	The question is.. where Kerberos fits in all this stuff? Why should I
need it?
	Its said that the Active Directory is a kind of LDAP directory with a
Kerberos mutation :). Shouldn't the LDAP part be enough? I don't get the
point :)

Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com
Enplater S.A
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk