[Gllug] Internet connections

Lee, Paul paul at ma1.se
Wed Jan 11 10:10:10 UTC 2006

Matthew Thompson wrote:

> Apologies for top posting but my handheld doesn't do quoting.
>
> There will always be large peering points in networks but the telecoms side of things generally has a bit more redundancy to it than the is seen directly,
>
> At work we've got dual feeds into UUNet no MCI no that’s not right now either, ahh Verizon Business' network routed via crawley to mci at Reading and via Croydon to MCI in London.
>
> Of course we pay grandly for this but so do BT for the Colossus ATM nettwork through which all your DSL traffic (For non LLU customers at least) travels before branching out to your ISP's network.
>
> This allows BT to dynamically route traffic to different endpoints dependant on what information the ISP's Radius server provides.
>
> So yes Docklands as a whole is a pretty large weakness if targetted as a whole, but then there are much larger issues at stake if an event of such magnitude as can destroy the docklands area takes place!
>
> M at t :o)

A relatively small terrorist incident could cause havoc for days. At the
very least the Police would cordon a wide area and probably prevent
(Smaller) ISP's reaching their kit. I've always been slightly concerned
at the security at some data centre's. The requirements for working in a
BT Exchange are I believe a lot tougher.

Paul

// www.ma1.se /

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk