[Gllug] MYSQL ... a permissions problem? mysql newbie installer warning...

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Mon Jan 2 19:02:40 UTC 2006

I've been setting up a server following a howto cookbook, including in
one of these mysql. This is on Suse 9.3 and a 400mhz/256mb old pentium
box, which is more than needed for the task I suspect!

After following the cookbook and apt getting (rather than YAST rpm'ing)
all the required files (as specified) I enter the command to set the
password (again as cookbook specified).

mysqladmin -u root password <mypasswordofchoice>

Then I get this thrown back at me:

 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Yes, I am logged as root.

Sorry, some real basics are needed here - where do I go to change
anything in a config, if its a permissions file write problem, which one
do I change to allow?

As I said, total luser/noob with regards to mysql.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk