[Gllug] OSS for use on M$?

john levin john at technolalia.org
Thu Jan 19 17:58:50 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    There used to be a distribution called The Open CD, of OS software ported
> to run on M$ which could be used to soften attitudes. It now appears to be
> another Ubuntu installation CD. Is there any other distribution I should
> look at? A friend is using a Packard Bell computer kit supplied with a
> password-protected BIOS which is set to boot only from the HDD, and the
> password is not currently available.

The current Open CD comes with a small Ubuntu live distro; but as long
as you don't boot from cd, it should automatically open a browser window
with all the free Windows software described and ready to install.

The Ubuntu x86 live cd also has a selection of Free Software for
Windows; again, just don't boot from cd but pop it in the drive.

Other cds of free software for windows include:
"Software for Starving Students"
http://mirror.softwarefor.org/ (mac os x version as well)
GnuWin (not being developed, although the project might be rivived)
http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/en/index.html
WinLibre
http://www.winlibre.com/en/

(And for Mac OS X, Fsuite: http://www.freesmug.org/fscd/)