[Gllug] Broken RPM Database

Lee, Paul paul at ma1.se
Sun Jan 15 12:26:51 UTC 2006

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:30:45AM +0000, Lee, Paul wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>Has anyone on the list successfully rebuilt their RPM database? I don't
>>mean rpm --rebuilddb. I've tried that and that was only partially
>>successful. This partly rebuilt a list of 71 packages (when the real
>>number will be over 300). rpm -Va reveals a list of failed dependencies.
>>
>>I had just carried out an update of my Centos 3.6 using yum when I
>>discovered rpm was broken with `error: db4 error(-30989) from
>>dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found` - I think
>>it might be this bug..

> If the DB is totally trashed, then look at the various /var/log/rpmpkgs
> Hopefully one of the backups will have the complete list of RPMs. At
> which point you can re-populate the RPM db by re-installing each RPM
> using the --justdb  flag to tell it only to updat the database.

Thanks for your help. They do indeed contain a list of packages pre update.

> Then again a re-install might be simpler

Very Possibly. I've got things working "sort of" by rsyncing the
/var/lib/rpm from another Centos 3.6 box. The significant package
differences between the two systems would be in the php/mysql rpm packages.

On the damaged box I was using third party RPMS to use later versions of
PHP/MySQL.

Apart from that the two systems should be updated to the same level.

This problem may provide the motivation to do a clean install and
upgrade to Centos 4 however ;o) )

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk