[Gllug] Internet connections

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 13 19:47:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Russell Howe wrote:
> Another fairly neat addition was the Royal Mail address points database
> (messy though it was), which meant that you could simply draw a polygon
> enclosing the area you thought was likely to be affected by the
> application, and letters to all the addresses in that area would be
> generated. A nice idea, until you get an application in which is
> something like "Dig a big pond in the middle of the park in Buxton",
> and the park's surrounded by flats. I think I folded about 150 letters
> that day. Then they submitted revised plans and we had to do the whole
> thing again.

And then there are developers who make no effort to check these things
at all.

e.g., in <http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/ep=map~mapid=mainmap~topic=floodmap~layergroups=1,~layerGroupToQuery=1~lang=_e~mapOfOriginalLocation=false~scale=5~maxx=518176.75~maxy=249984.75~minx=516081.25~miny=247889.25.wiyby>,
there was fairly recently an application to build a lot of houses on that
big area labelled `Weir'. The area which is bright blue, permanently
boggy, and floods at the drop of a hat.

(Oh, and it's a `nature reserve' too, in practice it's a bit which is
close to the A1 so it serves to dissipate the sound before it slams
into the town. But why would anyone want to live in a bog next to the
A1?!)

Oddly enough the application was rejected.

--
`I must caution that dipping fingers into molten lead
 presents several serious dangers.' --- Jearl Walker
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk