[Gllug] Newly installed SpamAssassin less effective than an old installation (same version)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jan 14 08:18:28 UTC 2006

I've recently moved my home server to a new machine.  It does a lot of
jobs ranging from recording the telly to handling my e-mail.  Both (old
and new machines) run Sarge with all the latest security patches
installed.

I've noticed on oddity.  All my incoming e-mail is scanned first by
SpamAssassin and second by BogoFilter.  On the old system, 95% of my
spam was filtered out by SA and then about 3% by BF.  On the new one SA
seems to pick up only about 10% and then BF gets 80%.  Overall it still
mostly gets caught but I'm puzzled about why SA has got so much less
effective.  Any suggestions?

I have not customised SA on either machine.

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk