[Gllug] trashman - a trash management utility for Linux filesystem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 31 20:18:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Richard Jones announced authoritatively:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:50:29PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> No, CVS is useless for this application; subversion preserves a bit more
>> state but is still useless if like me you make heavy use of
>> hardlinks. Plus you have to remember to check in and out. (That's why
>> I'm writing Recant. A new version on every open for writing. Do *that*
>> with a normal version-control system. :) )
>
> If it uses persistent (functional) data structures, I'll be impressed ...

No, I'm not writing it in OCaml, sorry ;)

(I wish, but I've never got good enough at ML-style languages to handle
that sort of thing, and their PostgreSQL interfaces mostly suck, and
most of them are really rather crappy at representing graphs in my
experience. Yes, backing it with PostgreSQL makes it comparatively slow
and bloated, but it means I don't have to bother with the data storage
gunge in the experimental phase and can concentrate on the interesting
algorithmic stuff instead.)

When my hardware stops failing I'll finalize the design and stick it on
a Trac... I was *going* to do it last weekend before I lost one machine
and one SCA SCSI disk in quick succession. (Thankfully it happened the
day after I ran a full backup.)

I hate hardware.

--
`I won't make a secret of the fact that your statement/question
 sent a wave of shock and horror through us.' --- David Anderson
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk