[Gllug] squid, load balancing

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Jan 16 19:44:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:32:28PM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> putting stress on things. Our application (free mapping) means throwing
> a lot of data around and we don't have the space to pre-generate tiles
> hence squid sitting in front of apache on the tile server.

My first thought was this: Are the tiles generated the same for each
user, or would users get slightly different tiles if they clicked on
the same map, to the same magnification, but a just a few pixels out?
You might be showing a unique set of tiles to every user, which would
mean that the caching wouldn't be helping you.  You might want to get
Squid to print out the ratio of hits to misses to find out how
effective it's being.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.