[Gllug] CD-Writer not detected

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 18:01:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 05:32:40PM +0000, Emon wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am a newbie running Slackware10.2.
> I just installed Slackware10.2 on my friend's PC. I also custom
> compiled the kernel(2.6.13) for him. The problem is, he has got
> a CD-Writer(IDE) and a CD-Drive(IDE), but only the CD-Drive is
> listed in the /etc/fstab, the CD-Write is nowhere to be found!!
> So what should I do to make Slackware detect the CD-Writer, and
> do I need to have any particular kernel option enabled??

Hi Emon,

first check the kernel message buffer log:

ben at debian$ dmesg | grep -i cd
hdc: TDK CDRW121032, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: CD-ROM Drive/F5B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdd: attached ide-cdrom driver.
hdd: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)

In the above case I have a CDRW on hdc, so I have the following added to
/etc/fstab:

ben at debian$ grep cdrw /etc/fstab
/dev/hdc       /cdrw           iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0 0

With the above you should be able to mount a CD iso under /cdrw as an
ordinary user (assuming the directory /cdrw exists and is globally
readable):

ben at debian$ ls -ld /cdrw
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Mar  6  2005 /cdrw

Slackware is a good place to learn!

HTH,

Ben.

--