[Gllug] Internet connections

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 01:02:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:39:38PM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 12:19 +0000, Dan Stevens (IAmAI) wrote:
> > I thought the government, or someone, had defined 'flood zones'
> > throughout the country; in other words, specific areas that are of
> > high flood risk.
>
> Indeed they have, and I'm happy to see that they're now more accurate
> and the map now reflects the actual flooding characteristics.

Data like this gets used for a whole bunch of things. When I did a brief
stint in a town planning office, if a planning application came in which
was for something within the flood plain, the Environment Agency was
sent a copy of the application as a matter of course. You plotted a
polygon on the GIS system they had and if it overlapped with the flood
plain, it caused a letter to be generated to the environment agency,
ready for printing.

The Borough Council even notified Buxton Mineral Water if there was an
application for something which was within their catchment area.

Another fairly neat addition was the Royal Mail address points database
(messy though it was), which meant that you could simply draw a polygon
enclosing the area you thought was likely to be affected by the
application, and letters to all the addresses in that area would be
generated. A nice idea, until you get an application in which is
something like "Dig a big pond in the middle of the park in Buxton",
and the park's surrounded by flats. I think I folded about 150 letters
that day. Then they submitted revised plans and we had to do the whole
thing again.

Alright, I think that's just about off topic enough...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk