[Gllug] desktop distro with "will just work" 54g support

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Jul 9 12:48:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 12:16:40PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Hi
>
> A friend of mine, who is in no way technically minded, has asked me to
> suggest a desktop linux distro that will "just work" with his notebook.
> Most of the clicky distros will suit him, but I'm wondering which would
> make his built-in broadcom 54g wireless NIC work without any fiddling.

Which notebook? Some "just work", others need a little tweaking. Rather than
spend ages trying to evaluate all the different distros, it might be prudent
to google (and use linux-on-laptops) for the model of the notebook and/or
chipset to find out how much work is involved. It could be that on one
distro it just works, but there's other things that might annoy the user.
Whereas another distro might need 30 mins of (documented) faff to get it
working, but in the long run be the "right" choice for the user.

As for distros, the usual suspects come up, Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, Fedora,
Linspire etc.

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk