[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 7 01:11:30 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:

>On Thu 06 Jul, Minty wrote:
>

>>Can you legally re-sell the Windows licence, without accepting the terms of it?
>>

>   I believe that selling on a secondhand M$ licence could be not only
>legal, but may even be condoned by M$. I am fairly sure that I have seen a
>news item about saving money by buying a secondhand licence.
>   However that may not be true for all M$ products. Beware also that the
>purchase of a computer with OEM installed M$ XP may not be the same as
>buying a computer plus a full retail copy of M$ XP. The original version of
>the XP user agreement was supposed to be for a fixed term of about 2-3
>years, renewable on payment of a further fee. Replacement of the OS after a
>calamity was supposed to require the purchase of a new full retail copy, not
>the OEM version.

Well, if you haven't accepted the terms of the license, then you have
*no agreement with Microsoft*.
Therefore, they (Microsoft) have no legal way to stop you selling your
license to some third party.

The only thing you cannot do is to sell the MS CD without the
accompanying license, that is illegal under statutory law. To get around
this, you can sell the license and throw in the CD for free.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk