[Gllug] Server supplier for Linux mail server

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 17:11:14 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 Jul 2006 15:49, paul at ma1.se wrote:

> My "ten cents." If you opt for SATA, go for Western Digital or Seagate
> drives, and avoid Maxtors like a plague. In my data centre experiences
> Maxtor PATA/SATA failures substantially out number the other
> manufacturers. I'm aware Maxtor are part of Seagate now so maybe this
> will change.

I'll entirely agree with that - I've just had TWO 13 month old Maxtor SATA
drives die within three days.

Luckily they were backed up where necessary, and had been very lightly used,
with a couple of alternative distros on them for experimental purposes.
Despite my good housekeeping, it was still irritating and time-consuming to
have to recover the stuff I needed from the backups.

I don't know if Maxtor are going to get any better.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk