[Gllug] Mugshot invitations

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Jul 31 16:21:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 02:19:08PM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 14:13 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 10:09:49AM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> > > If anyone is interested in Red Hats new social networking site
> > > www.mugshot.org I have 4 invites to give away.
> >
> > Does the world need another social networking site?  Run by Red Hat of
> > all companies??
> >

> I suspect.. probably.. not.
>
> Even having played with it this morning for a while it isn't at all
> clear why I'd want to have an account.
>
> Although I couldn't install the Mugshot client as the only RPM available
> was for Fedora Core 5 so maybe I'm missing part of the puzzle.

Without the client installed there isn't anything interesting you
can do with Mugshot really.

> I don't think the purpose of the site is at all well communicated.

Yeah, general initial impression shared by most people who look at
it :-) I can't really do it justice myself, but here's a go. Rather
than being another social networking site itself, it aims to try and
integrate a variety of diffrent web services, and your desktop. For
example, the mugshot Linux client will publish details of the current
song you're playing in Rhythmbox. On the site this info is pushed out
to other people in your groups - along with links to album cover art,
and direct play link to variou online music sites. There is also this
idea of link sharing - fed from the observation that many people
share links with friends via their blogs but then don't really have
an effective place to discuss the topic of the link - so you get
lame "conversations" in comments and across blogs. So the mugshot
link sharing idea is that you post your interesting links via mugshot
instead of the blog, and it associates an 'ad-hoc' chat room with it
for a limited period of time allowing real converstaions to take
place. They try to explain it a bit better on the blogs every now
and then...  http://blog.mugshot.org/

Now whether any / all of this turns out to be a useful service is
really open to debate - I'm not entirely convinced the link sharing
stuff is anything other than a huge distraction / time sink ;-) But
some people love it ?!?

The only bit of mugshot I'm actively using myself is the music
sharing bit - even then I'm not using the standard client - I wrote
a Perl plugin for the Slim Devices SqueezeBox to push my curent
song info straight to the server and then have a little flash plugin
to display it on the web:

 http://people.redhat.com/berrange/

Really just a little bit of fun at the moment.

> "More Web 2.0, Social Networking, magic pixie dust anyone?"

Dan.