[Gllug] LVM problem -- redhat 4

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 15:50:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:48:02PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> I have spent a few days installing redhat enterprise 4 (64 bit) on a HP Proliant DL360 box.
>
> Decided to do a quick reboot .... and it fails.
>
> / /boot /usr swap: on raw disk partitions (fdisk type -- names like /dev/cciss/c0d0p1)
> Funny names seem to be 'cos of the raid 0+1 that the firmware/hardware provides.
> /tmp /var on LVM.
> No probs with disks until just now when the LVM failed to start. A few mkdirs of /var/....
> enabled me to get the system up ... but lots of stuff in /var missing.

All fixed, I thought that it might interest you to know what ....

I upgraded the box, which did not update the kernel.
When I rebooted the kernel could not see the logical volumed.

Solution: install the latest kernel.

The support guy who I spoke to was helpful & knowledgeable - however: getting through was very difficult,
I ended up using a number that was not the one listed on their web site, that bit was very frustrating.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>