[Gllug] IBM Thinkpads and Linux

john levin john at technolalia.org
Wed Jul 12 12:19:46 UTC 2006

Richard Cosgrove wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was directed here by someone at the Open Tech Support website. If
> this is the wrong mailing list, sorry.
>
> I'm looking at buying an IBM Thinkpad laptop - either a 600E or 600X
> model - in the next few days.
>
> As I'll be using this for word processing and accessing the internet
> at hot-spots, and being tired of I'm tired of Windows and having
> little spare money, I'm considering installing a Linux distribution on
> it rather than getting hold of a new copy of Windows.
>
> It'll be running OpenOffice, Firefox, a USB stick, and a wireless internet.
>
> As I have zero experience with using Linux, let alone installing it
> (I'm OK with XP and Mac OS X) I was wondering if someone here could
> give me some plain English advice in going about this.
>
> Any tips on which distribution (preferably a very friendly one), where
> to get drivers, hassles will be welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Richard Cosgrove

My preferred distro is Ubuntu, which is generally considered the best
distro for newbies. The latest version (6.06LTS) comes as a live cd, so
you can test it to make sure everything works, with an option for
installing to hard drive.

For Ubuntu on IBM thinkpads, consult:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptopsIBM
and for linux generally, see:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html

If you have trouble installing, you can come along to a Gllug meet,
where people will be happy to help you out.

HTH

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk