[Gllug] GLLUG Newsletter - 27/07/06

Simon Morris sm at beerandspeech.org
Thu Jul 27 19:37:45 UTC 2006

Hello

_GLLUG Meeting - 12th August_

Just a reminder that on Saturday 12th August we are going to our
regular Westminster University Campus venue for a technical meeting.

Our speakers are Steve Coast who will be speaking about OpenStreetMap,
Shane Coughlan on Security and Greg McCarroll on building a Bash
toolbox.

For more information please see http://gllug.org.uk

_Software Freedom Day - 26th September_

On Saturday 16th September we celebrate Software Freedom Day.

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org

Linux Format Magazine are going to run a small piece in the next issue
on what UK LUGs are going to do on this day. I would like to ask for
suggestions from the group on how we should celebrate.

My thoughts so far are to meet in Regents Park at around midday and
then to walk along the Euston Road to the top of Tottenham Court Road.
Walking down TCR towards Goodge Street Station we will generally
leaflet, cajole and harass the local populous educating them about
Free Software and GNU/Linux

At Goodge St Stn we will head towards our Westminster University
Campus venue for a technical meeting. I have one speaker from
Canonical that has agreed to speak on that day about Ubuntu.

After the meeting we will adjourn to the Green Man where will should
have the basement of the pub booked for general merriment and
celebration.

I know other LUGs are looking at doing something along the lines of
InfoPoints in shopping centres with screens and computers and so on,
but I don't think it is feasible in Central London. I'm keeping track
on what other LUGs are planning and I'll send emails out to
neighbouring LUGs inviting them down for the day to celebrate with us
if they have nothing planned.

I would welcome suggestions if you have any ideas on what else we
could do for this day.

Thanks!

--
~sm