[Gllug] ssh authentification

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jul 18 09:19:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 12:38:19AM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Is it possible to configure ssh to require BOTH the public key and a
> password when accessed from outside the local network?

What's the threat you're trying to prevent here?  It sounds to me a
bit like a misguided corporate policy requiring users to use passwords
to access your network.

If the threat is that someone could steal a laptop containing a
private key and access the network, then put a passphrase on that key.
You should really do this anyway.

If the threat is that someone might try to access the network from an
unauthorised device (eg. a compromised Windoze PC in an internet cafe
or at home) using just a password, then public keys will stop that.
Unless people are clever & stupid enough to copy the private key to
the unauthorised device, but then there's no way to stop that short of
some sort of trusted computing setup.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.