[Gllug] LVM problem -- redhat 4

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 11:48:02 UTC 2006

I have spent a few days installing redhat enterprise 4 (64 bit) on a HP Proliant DL360 box.

Decided to do a quick reboot .... and it fails.

/ /boot /usr swap: on raw disk partitions (fdisk type -- names like /dev/cciss/c0d0p1)
Funny names seem to be 'cos of the raid 0+1 that the firmware/hardware provides.
/tmp /var on LVM.
No probs with disks until just now when the LVM failed to start. A few mkdirs of /var/....
enabled me to get the system up ... but lots of stuff in /var missing.

If I try to mount a LVM partition I get:
	$ mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt
	/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00: Invalid argument
	mount: /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00: can't read superblock

vgdisplay shows, what look like logical partitions of the right size.

I tried to reformat what is /tmp:
	$ mkfs /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
	mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
	mkfs.ext2: Device size reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or
	        partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to
	        a modified partition being busy and in use.  You may need to reboot
	        to re-read your partition table.

But the LVM suggests that it is OK:

	$ lvdisplay --verbose /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
	    Using logical volume(s) on command line
	  --- Logical volume ---
	  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
	  VG Name                VolGroup00
	  LV UUID                o2AeXl-17jp-4and-xsT0-uNZW-5pl7-ts0fdw
	  LV Write Access        read/write
	  LV Status              available
	  # open                 0
	  LV Size                1.97 GB
	  Current LE             63
	  Segments               1
	  Allocation             inherit
	  Read ahead sectors     0
	  Block device           253:0

syslog hangs on load, but I assume that that is a side effect of bits of /var not being there.

Redhat phone support are useless -- I just get an 'out of the office' type message.
Trying to login to the support bit of their website using the username/password set up on registration -- does not work.

Anyone any idea what I can do next.

TIA

--
Alain Williams