[Gllug] Server supplier for Linux mail server

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Jul 27 11:03:31 UTC 2006

on 27/07/2006 11:31 Rich Walker said the following:

> Start with RAID-1 and make sure your mirrors are made up of drives from
> different manufacturers?

Precisely my strategy :)

Not with SmartRAID though.

> (mind you - I have a lot of Maxtors, and they only die when not cooled
> properly. Keep them below c.a. 40, and you should be fine...)

Couldn't agree more. I had long arguments with a supplier over this.
We're using various small NAS boxes at clients (by request!) which get
horribly hot and I trust them not very far at all. When I complained to
the manufacturer, they replied with a WD technote for their (WD) RAID
specific SATA drives
(http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=114)

which states that they have mtbf >1200000 hrs at over 60 celsius.

We'll see in a couple of years :)

/J
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk