[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 08:34:20 UTC 2006

On Fri 07 Jul, John Hearns wrote:

> Network boot via PXE and run in a minroot environment.
> We do it in Linux, and I've seen it done with Solaris on Sun boxes.
> We have a network bootable Knoppix if you want to do some detailed
> investigations.

   I also use Knoppix for a quick system check, but Dell have been trying to
avoid anything non-M$. They probably have their own diagnostic software
based on their "standard OS", and it is too much like hard work to modify it
for the few "difficult customers".
   "Brand name" kit sometimes uses non-standard components, forcing upgrades
and replacements only sourced by the same manufacturer, but you could
assemble your own box to your own spec using standard off-the-shelf items.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk