[Gllug] xorg.conf for widescren lcd tv

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jul 6 23:44:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006, Stuart Sears stated:
> incidentally does anyone know whether the -Hsync +Vsync bit is
> necessary? The lines always seem to work fine without it.

>From a quick inspection of the modular X tree (current git as of
yesterday), it is quite obsolete.

It sets the vsync and hsync polarity in VGA video mode setting (MSB and
adjacent bit of port 0x3C2, respectively). This isn't used by terribly
many drivers anymore; real VGA of course, fbdev on a real VGA, and a bunch
of driver initialization code. But I doubt that most of the non-VGA cards
pay much attention to it (well, I say that but I'm only vaguely aware
of what it is/was for; still this may provide some terms to google on).

--
`She *is*, however, one of the few sf authors with a last name ending in O,
 which adds some extra appeal to those of us who obsess about things like
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk