[Gllug] [OT] Social networking

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Jul 31 15:45:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 02:47:24PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> I note no one else on linkedin.com nominates GLLUG as a society they're
> a "member" of.
>
> A quick straw poll: Who's a member of what social networking site (as
> these things only become useful with scale, and networks)?
>
> Richard Cottrill:
> * linkedin.com

I'm a regular member of mixi.jp (I'd be surprised if anyone else in
GLLUG was a member, but in Japan it's absolutely huge, probably bigger
than MySpace is over there).

The real problem with these sites is that your membership,
relationships, blog, and sometimes even your life's work[1] has just
become proprietary, owned by the company that runs the site.  "FOAF"
was supposed to solve that (wasn't it?), but I haven't really heard of
it taking off.

Rich.

[1] http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33369

--