[Gllug] Server supplier for Linux mail server

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 22:14:03 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 03:49:22PM +0100, paul at ma1.se wrote:
>> My "ten cents." If you opt for SATA, go for Western Digital or Seagate
>> drives, and avoid Maxtors like a plague. In my data centre experiences
>> Maxtor PATA/SATA failures substantially out number the other
>> manufacturers. I'm aware Maxtor are part of Seagate now so maybe this
>> will change.
>
> Agreed.  We had a couple of Maxtors in a server and one of them failed
> after a month.  The thing was that the drive which failed wasn't even
> being used yet ...  I've also heard nothing but bad news about Maxtor
> drives & reliability.

I think these things go in cycles. I started using Maxtor disks after
having trouble with Western Digital and Seagate in the past. I had
several failures with WD, and bad experiences with some of the Seagate
Barracuda drives in the early days of the 10k rpm ones. Seagate appear
to have got better now though. I've had good experience with Maxtor SCSI
drives (but then they're really just Quantum ones, as Maxtor bought them
out). The MaXline ones are the first SATA drives I've bought for myself,
and I deliberately avoided the DiamondMax drives, which look to be much
less reliable. These days I on;y buy drives with warranties >= 5 years,
and all important data goes on RAID with backup to external drives. I'd
really like a nice large Ultrium drive, but don't want to drop 2 grand
on a tape drive for personal use....

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk