[Gllug] Better than ntop

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jul 8 10:04:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 14:06 +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Rich Walker suggested tentatively:
> >> (And I discovered the reason my network gateway vanishes occasionally is
> >> the "hockey-stick-process-graph" problem we've seen before... Did anyone
> >> work out the reason for that?)
> >
> > The what problem?
>
> There was a thread about a server disappearing. Munin graphs were
> published. Before the server disappeared, the process graph went
> up at a constant angle, as did IIRC the memory usage. Eventually, the
> machine stops responding.

That was mine I think.  I never got a definitive explanation (it
happened only once and I didn't do a good enough job of information
gathering before re-booting - I plead early morning lack of focus) but
suspicion points at an unreliable USB DVB-T dongle.  It keeps locking up
and the Linux drivers do not cope well with an unresponsive dongle.
I've since taken it off the machine and there has been no recurrence.

John

--
John Winters, Wallingford, Oxon, England
i = (free (NULL); i++);

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk