[Gllug] Linux-supported CF card readers

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Tue Jul 18 13:01:59 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Tue, July 18, 2006 12:50 pm, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>>> I thought this would be the case a couple of years ago when I bought a
>>> cheap card reader in Dixons onlu to find it wasn't supported.
>>>
>> I've used USB storage devices for 4-5 years and not yet come across one
>> that didn't Just Work[tm].  Seems like you were a little unlucky.
>
> Do you mean a USB memory card? They've always worked for me too - it is
> the card readers that I've had problems with.

Maybe I'm being thick but I don't understand that. How do you make these
memory cards available to the system if not through some kind of reader
device? Or are you referring to USB flash keys.

Either way, I have both a Belkin SM reader and a Fuji multi-card reader,
both of which worked out of the box under Debian Etch and Sid (can't say
Sarge because I haven't tried it but don't see why it wouldn't work).

Similarly I have a Fuji digital camera which is loaded as a mass storage
device with a media card in it.

The Fuji reader is even daisy-chained off a usb hub and still works
fine. In fact the only card reader I have which didn't just work is the
built in SD reader on my Tecra M1.

HTH
Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk