[Gllug] ssh authentification

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 13:30:50 UTC 2006

Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
>> The problem is that it's very difficult to enforce that. If a staff
>> member wants to install a passwordless keypair that gives them access
>> to your systems, how do you prevent it?

Just had another idea - though possibly impractical on a large scale...

Issue OpenPGP cards, these also protect the authentication key with a
pin/password, and card readers to all users.  Then follow the
instructions at [1] to set up gpg-agent to mimic ssh-agent on the user's
machine and to add the keys to the ssh server, making sure that users
cannot subsequently add their own public keys.

I use this to protect the admin account on my server and it works very well.

Take care,

Ben

[1] http://cyphertext.de/ssh-openpgpcard-howto.txt
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk