[Gllug] I have a windows problem

will will at willj.net
Wed Jun 28 09:54:16 UTC 2006

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 10:36 +0100, will wrote:
>
>> 1) How do I install a Windows XP 'boot sector' on /dev/sda2?
>
> "fixboot" from the recovery console.

Well fixboot ran OK.  Now when VMWare boots up it shows me grub and I
can select 'Other' (the Windows XP installation) and I get the error:

-------------------------
   Booting 'Other'

rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

Press any key to continue...
-------------------------

I suspect this is a problem with XP as XP still won't boot normally
after restarting the host machine.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  I
have googled for the error but to no avail.

> - you need to tweak the virtual disk file, because (with kernel 2.6) it
> will have the wrong geometry. It's the .vmdk file, the
> "ddb.geometry.cylinders" and "ddb.geometry.biosCylinders" fields need to
> be changed to the total size of your hard disk (in bytes) divided by
> 512. This will almost certainly be a big larger than what vmware set.
> With my 80Gb disk it's 156301488.

I tried this but it didn't make a difference (using the data from
/proc/partitions).

Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk