[Gllug] CPU temperature too high

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jun 12 23:48:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Tethys whispered secretively:
> 	fan1:      5607 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
> 	fan2:         0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
> 	fan3:         0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
> 	fan4:         0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)

Ick, only one sensored fan? (Mind you that's true of one of my machines,
as well. It still makes me twitchy, especially if I know that the
machine depends on all three fans working to avoid overheating.)

> 	temp1:       +62°C  (low  =  -127°C, high =  +127°C)
> 	temp2:       +45°C  (low  =  -127°C, high =  +127°C)
> 	temp3:       +48°C  (low  =  -127°C, high =  +127°C)

One irrelevant suggestion: fix those thresholds. (You might want to work
out the right temperature dividers, too: one of temp2 or temp3 are
generally motherboard temperature sensors, and that seems *awfully* hot
for a motherboard. So the dividers are probably wrong. Alas working out
what they *are* is rather tricky.)

But you really want to fix the dividers: munin and other tools can then
emit alarms when your fans start dying or the temperatures soar.

--
`Voting for any American political party is fundamentally
 incomprehensible.' --- Vadik
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk