[Gllug] DNS Question

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 24 10:40:43 UTC 2006

Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> I am trying to get my hosting provider to add a pair of entries to my
> DNS profile which would match as follows.
>
> 82.69.147.30    class.stonedoor.com
> 82.69.147.30    home.stonedoor.com
>
> They have done this before for another server of mine, however, now they
> claim that since my domain is registered via Network Solutions they
> cannot add entries to my domain.

It doesn't matter who it's registered through; it's who hosts it which
matters.

> Now, use my ISP them for DNS as shown clearly in a whois.
>

>   Domain Name: STONEDOOR.COM

>   Domain servers in listed order:
>
>   NS.WEB2010.COM               216.65.3.100
>   NS2.WEB2010.COM              216.157.79.246
>   NS4.WEB2010.COM              216.157.55.6
>   NS3.WEB2010.COM              216.157.47.6

But now it says:

    Domain servers in listed order:

    NS41.WORLDNIC.COM            205.178.190.21
    NS42.WORLDNIC.COM            205.178.189.21

Which are Network Solutions servers. The delegation from the GTLD
servers matches this. But these servers don't answer for your domain.
Have you or your ISP been changing things? The domain doesn't work at
all currently because these servers are lame.

The servers listed in your whois quote *do* answer for your domain. But
as it isn't delegated to them, this doesn't work.

I don't understand how this can come about. If you use the NS web site
to edit your DNS it sets up a delegation to their servers as above but
it also creates the domain on them. It looks as though someone has gone
in and entered an explicit delegation to NS servers but this would be a
very strange thing to do. It could be a bug in NS's web site I suppose
but this doesn't seem very likely, it's used extensively and I've not
heard of such a problem before.

> Am I wrong in thinking that my ISP has control of the DNS even though
> they claim they don't?

Apparantly so, as it is delegated to NS servers now. But it does appear
that some ill advised fiddling has been going on recently. Who has
control of your NS account? You or your ISP?

> Is there a way to get the entire entry information for a domain from
> a DNS server remotely?

Not usually as zone transfers to unauthorised addresses are generally
prohibited. The command "dig @server domain.name axfr" will give it if
it is permitted.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk