[Gllug] Is this a silly idea?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Jun 30 11:22:08 UTC 2006

John Winters wrote:
> Fiddling with my first USB bluetooth adaptor last night and getting it
> to talk to my mobile phone I had a thought - why not get a bluetooth
> headset (intended for a mobile phone) and use it instead with the USB
> adaptor to give myself a headset for the computer for VoIP calls.  Is
> this a silly idea, or perhaps old hat that I just haven't heard of
> before?

I had skype set up using my bluetooth headset, using a few hacky scripts
and things and when it worked it worked perfectly.

The problems were all to do with getting it to manage the headset going
away gracefully and that sort of thing.  With the bluetooth transmitter
built into my laptop and a plantronics headset i got a good 5m of range
too, which was excellent.

The magic bit is "btsco":

http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/

doug.