[Gllug] arp problem?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 20:00:55 UTC 2006

Casper Gasper wrote:

>> simply
>> >
>> >  If it doesn't have an ip address, why are you attempting to ping it?
>> >

>> Because the arp table ought to tell the kernel which MAC address to aim
>> for
>

>  That won't work, I've thought that in the past but it doesn't.  The
> arp table entry will send the packets to the machine, but when say a
> ping packet goes through the TCP/IP stack, it will get discarded
> because the destination IP address doesn't match the local ip -- or
> else, forwarded if ip forwarding is enabled on the machine.

It does with *some* devices, it's how we used to get an address onto
Axis print servers. These interpret a ping sent to their MAC as an
instruction to set the IP address to the one in the packet. This is
enough to get onto the box with telnet/HTTP and configure the netmask,
gateway etc.

I've not heard of Linux having this capability though, I'd have thought
you'd need bootp/rarp.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk