[Gllug] Is this a bug in apt-get

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Sun Jun 18 22:24:34 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 10:47:55PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org sarge/main apache-common 1.3.33-6sarge1
>   Could not connect to ftp.uk.debian.org:80 (83.142.228.128), connection
> timed o ut
> Get:1 http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main apache-common
> 1.3.33-6sarge1  [845kB]
<snip>...

> To me the above looks like a long succession of failures to connect to
> the relevant UK repository but it's reporting a successful install (from
> cached packages?). Or have I misinterpreted this?

It's pretty obvious. Your machine couldn't connect to
http://ftp.uk.debian.org, but it successfully managed to get the package
from http://security.debian.org - can you see that now? So, you were
partially correct. It failed to connect to the UK repository, true. But
the packages it installed were, as it *told* you, downloaded from the
Debian security-update repository. Not any local cache.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk