[Gllug] multi tape backups

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jun 27 22:04:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Alain Williams gibbered uncontrollably:
> (I suppose that the best way would be to fix GNU tar)

Indeed. I tried to roll a patch just now and ran slap into the
interesting problem of what you do if you have a parent directory with
an mtime older than its child. Obviously the parent must be emitted in
that case, which means that all of a sudden now we have to scan all
children recursively in order to determine if the parent should be
emitted, which is not a small change (at least not small enough for me
to hack up in five minutes at this time of night). I *think* using
depth-first searching is enough, but I'm not certain yet (too late and
recovering from cold).

Anyway, I'll see if I can whip something up next Sunday: ping me next
week if I haven't responded in this thread again.

(It'll be against GNU tar 1.15.91, probably.)

--
`NB: Anyone suggesting that we should say "Tibibytes" instead of
 Terabytes there will be hunted down and brutally slain.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk