[Gllug] Is it me or are the CPUs getting slower?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jun 2 17:26:12 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 16:37 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:06:44PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> > I've booted an x86 live CD and that reports the same CPU speed (1 GHz)
> > and Bogomips (~2000).
> >
> > So, my questions are:
> >
> > 1) Does an Athlon 64 3000+ really only run at 1 GHz?
>
> No.  It runs at about 1.8Ghz and should show about 3600 bogomips, at
> full speed.

Well, that was my recollection - hence my surprise.

> > 2) If not, what might have slowed mine down and how can I speed it up
> > again?
>
> At a guess you have CPU frequency scaling enabled and so it slowed
> itself down as it has no work to do?

That's an interesting suggestion.  When I first booted up Ubuntu I
thought I saw a menu option entitled "CPU frequency scaling" but now I
go and hunt for it it doesn't seem to be there.  Did I imagine it (and
if so, how did I get the name so right)?

>   In which case speeding it up
> will be pointless unless you want a bigger electricity bill and a
> computer that does nothing, faster. :)

Well, if the CPU speed is now dynamic I'll be delighted.  It's a new one
on me though.

> You could prove this by running a tight loop to see if it speeds up.
> e.g. the "yes" shell command.

You seem to have rung the bell and won a prize there.  I set sshd to
installing (so I could access the machine remotely) and whilst it was
generating the crypto keys, a quick "cat /proc/cpuinfo" showed the CPU
at 1.8 GHz.  So, something appears to be working as it should, but can
anyone tell me what?  What are these "services" which someone else
mentioned?

TIA,
John

--
John Winters, Wallingford, Oxon, England
i = (free (NULL); i++);

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk