[Gllug] X forwarding

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jun 11 06:11:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 20:39 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I have a remote Debian box which I am connecting to thus:
>
> ssh -X myname at IPADDR
>
> But when I attempt to run any X based application I get...
>
> E233: cannot open display
>
> and typing echo $DISPLAY just gives me a blank.

If you add "-v" to your invocation of ssh then it will almost certainly
tell you exactly why the forwarding is not happening.  It's probably the
case that your target machine has:

X11Forwarding no

in its /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

Change that no to a yes, and then do "/etc/init.d/ssh reload".  Log out
of the target, then back in and you should find that "echo $DISPLAY" now
displays something.

HTH
John

--
John Winters, Wallingford, Oxon, England
i = (free (NULL); i++);

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk